INTEGRATED MEDIA AND STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION
BACHELOR OF ARTS
Effective communication can take you far.
The modern communication professional must possess a complementary set of storytelling and multimedia abilities. A degree in integrated media and strategic communication will prepare students for a career by merging these competencies while also developing an analytical skill set that enables them to organize, evaluate and think strategically. As a communications major, you’ll learn how to be a strong storyteller through non-fiction writing, multimedia, video production, public speaking as well as digital and print media.
Successful students will also be adept at effectively collecting and evaluating information and data, creating and disseminating messages as well as analyzing audiences. Real-world applications of these skills will enable students to build their portfolios and skill sets in each class while allowing them to pursue various first-hand learning opportunities. Upon graduation, our students are prepared for entry into the communication field in areas of content creation and management, which include traditional media, social media, customer experience, public relations and strategic communication.
- Participate in a number of student-run clubs and activities, including a campus cable TV station and Laker Student Media, and the Merciad, the university’s student newspaper
- Students work with real-world clients. By producing digital and audio content, creating social media strategies and crafting communication plans, you’ll have the chance to gain the know-how in a professional setting
- Our faculty and alumni possess diverse backgrounds and experiences. From communication managers to ad executives and broadcast journalists, a degree in integrated media and strategic communication can take you many places
- All students take a professional development course to learn how to pitch themselves in future job interviews
- Identify important information relating to the history of communication and the individuals responsible for shaping the industry
- Apply general theories of communication to typical outputs in the field of communication
- Compare and contrast various research methodologies and demonstrate application of one or more techniques within the field of communication
- Demonstrate advanced skills in tools and techniques associated with the student's area of specialized professional interest in the field of communication
- Develop an understanding of and skills in new and emerging communication technologies
- Practice accumulated knowledge within professional settings and situations
Laker Student Media is a student-run community that brings together Mercyhurst University and Erie. The club features multiple branches that include audio/radio, blogging, gaming, graphic design, TV production, social media, sports broadcasting, broadcast journalism, and videography/photography.