FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
As an institution of higher education committed to fostering global understanding and awareness, Mercyhurst University offers many learning opportunities for students from around the globe. Mercyhurst offers two exciting pathways of study for international students:
Students with demonstrated proficiency in the English language (IELTS of 6.5 or TOEFL of 550 on the paper-based test) can matriculate directly as a traditional undergraduate or graduate student.
Mercyhurst attracts students from nearly 50 countries. Learn what our international students have to say about how they chose Mercyhurst and what their experience has been like!
Students with demonstrated English proficiency (IELTS of 6.5+) are invited to apply for admission as an undergraduate student. Traditional undergraduate students enter into an academic program of study directly and are not required to take Intensive English or Foundations courses. Please contact Angela Phillips, International Enrollment Counselor at email@example.com for more information. Students who wish to apply for undergraduate admissions should submit the following:
- Use our streamlined online application.
- If your records are written in a language other than English, translation of the documents into English and a statement attesting to the accuracy of the translations must be submitted (notarized).
- If English is not your first language, your scores on the TOEFL and/or IELTS must be submitted. Applicants for admission must present a TOEFL score of no less than 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, and 79-80 on the Internet-based test. Applicants for admission must present a IELTS score of no less than 6.5.
- A 2019-2020 Certification of Finances, completed with amounts shown in U. S. dollars.
- Bank affidavit on official bank letterhead (a notarized document verifying US dollar amounts available). This is required by the U. S. government, and will be attached to your final immigration documents.
- Original test score results of the ACT or SAT (if available; however, if you plan to participate in inter-collegiate athletics, they are required).
- Your Pre-Admission Health Forms must be completed in full, including required information from your doctor.
- You must submit proof of health insurance coverage. This is needed to attend school in the United States. Students may use - but are not limited to - the health plan provided by the university. Contact International Admissions for more information about the health insurance available through the university.
- A photocopy of your passport photograph page.
- Completed 2019-2020 International Student Financial Aid Application.
- If you are transferring from a university located outside of the United States, you must use World Education Services to evaluate your transcripts. Please use "Course-by-Course Report."
Students should make housing arrangements in the U.S. prior to arriving. Mercyhurst University offers numerous housing options. If you are interested in on-campus housing, please click here. Intensive English and International Foundations Students interested in housing should contact Angela Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org
Plan to attend the orientation session for your program. If you are unable to attend orientation, be sure to visit the International Office as soon as you arrive on campus to check in and maintain your status. You will need to provide the following:
- Photocopies of all your travel and immigration documents. This includes your passport biography page, visa page, copy of your I-20 and your I-94 (travel record). Print the I-94 record.
- Updated local address. You are responsible for reporting any address changes to the International Office.
- Sign up for health insurance if you do not yet have it.
In addition to tuition, fees, room and board, international students should consider additional costs they may incur, such as books, health insurance and personal expenses. Use the currency converter to get a better idea how these costs translate into your currency. To assist with college costs, scholarships for international students are available; students receiving international student scholarships are with the understanding that the student lives on campus and participates in a campus meal plan at a level determined by the university. Awards vary and are awarded to International students with strong high school academic achievements and financial need. Regardless of your need for financial aid, you must complete a 2019-2020 Certification of Finances form. Mercyhurst seeks to assist deserving students in affording their education, but all are expected to contribute to the total cost of their education.
Multicultural Student Services assists with the educational, cultural, social and personal needs of all students, with special emphasis on ethnic, gender and minority issues. The primary focus is to develop leaders and scholars and to create campus-wide awareness of socio-economic issues, while bridging the gap between students and faculty. We also provide personal support, leadership development, professional development and a diverse resource library. Multicultural Student Services works with the International Office to host several fun and exciting events throughout the year, including:
- International Night
- International Day of Peace Observance
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
- World AIDS Observance
- Cultural Awareness Week
We realize that sometimes balancing the demands of college can be a bit overwhelming, especially for international students. That's why The Office of Academic Support provides several support services to help international students with a variety of academic concerns. Our dedicated staff is ready to assist students with any of the following:
- Concerns about academic performance
- Navigating the college environment
- Registering for classes
- Understanding academic requirements
- Change of major and transcript requests
We also offer academic workshops at various points in the semester. Previous workshops have included study skills, test taking, and note taking.
Please contact the Office of Academic Support at email@example.com.
The Tutoring Center offers one-on-one or small group tutoring in most subject areas, including English language support. Many international students benefit from seeking both content tutoring as well as English language tutoring, which can help understand readings and specific vocabulary. Tutors are current Mercyhurst students, and tutoring is completely free! Students seeking tutoring can schedule an appointment via TutorTrac, the University’s tutor scheduling software, at mercyhurst.go-redrock.com. Students seeking tutoring for a class for which there is no tutor schedule in TutorTrac may request a tutor by emailing the Tutoring Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit the Tutoring Center’s Portal page at tutoring.mercyhurst.edu.
The Writing Center is located on the first floor of the library. Writing consultants help students at any stage in the writing process, including analyzing and understanding the assignment; revising and editing a rough draft; using correct citation styles: MLA, APA, or Chicago style; and incorporating professor’s suggesitons about a draft. Students may bring in any writing project for any class. Students can come in during drop-in hours or make an appointment with a consultant via TutorTrac (mercyhurst.go-redrock.com). Find the latest Writing Center information via Twitter and Facebook (@WritingCenterMu) or search for us on the My.Mercyhurst Portal.