The Mercyhurst Theatre Program trains students to become engaged artists, impactful leaders, and compassionate members of a global community.
An 18-credit minor is available to all Mercyhurst students. Courses in acting, theatre history, dramatic literature, and script analysis offer a breadth of knowledge about the discipline, while electives allow students to customize their program of study. Classes are small, enabling students to receive individualized instruction.
Our mainstage production season provides numerous opportunities for students to develop their skills as directors, actors, designers, and technicians in a wide repertoire of classic and contemporary plays and musicals. Recent productions include She Kills Monsters, A Dickens of a Carol (world premiere), The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940, Anne of Green Gables (world premiere), Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Dracula, and The Diary of Anne Frank.
Students also work closely with guest artists. Each year, the theatre program offers a series of master classes, workshops, and Q&As with industry professionals. Recent guests include Chita Rivera, Bryce Pinkham, Anika Larsen, and Elizabeth Ashley.
- Mercyhurst Theatre Club aims to provide hands-on learning experiences in all aspects of theatre appreciation, production, and management and to foster a sense of community among students interested in theatre; thereby enriching the cultural life of our students
An 18-credit minor in Theatre is available to all Mercyhurst students. Courses in acting, theatre history, dramatic literature, and script analysis offer a breadth of knowledge about the discipline, while electives allow students to customize their program of study
Students are expected to participate in departmental productions and complete 18 semester hours:
Four Required Courses:
- THEA 110: Acting I (3 credits)
- THEA 245: Script Analysis: From Page to Stage (3 credits)
- THEA 290: Topics in Theatre History (3 credits)
- THEA 401: Practicum (3 credits)
Two Electives chosen from the following courses:
- DANC 100: Dance Appreciation (3 credits)
- ENG 200: Literary Studies (3 credits)
- ENG 316: Oral Interpretation (3 credits)
- ENG 330: The English Drama (3 credits)
- ENG 334: Shakespeare (3 credits)
- ENG 356: Contemporary Drama (3 credits)
- ENG 358: Modern American Drama (3 credits)
- FASH 120: Contemporary Fashion Analysis (3 credits)
- FASH 130: Introduction to Fashion Construction (3 credits)
- FASH 330: Textiles I: Fiber to Fabric (3 credits)
- FASH 410: Fashion Evolution (3 credits)
- FREN 132: French Theatre in English Translation (3 credits)
- ID 100: Design Basics (3 credits)
- ID 220: History of Interior Design and Architecture I (3 credits)
- ID 221: History of Interior Design and Architecture II (3 credits)
- ID 380: Color and Light (3 credits)
- MUS 104: Music History I (3 credits)
- MUS 105: Music History II (3 credits)
- THEA 140: Special Topics in Theatre (3 credits)
- THEA 220: Acting II (3 credits)
- THEA 330: Acting III (3 credits)
The Mercyhurst Theatre Club boasts over 50 members from nearly every major on campus.
TAYLOR LITTLE THEATRE
With a seating capacity of 229, this intimate space is home to the Mercyhurst Theatre Program.
Past performances include Cabaret, The Drowsy Chaperone, The Tempest, Urinetown and many others.