VETERANS DAY 2020 CELEBRATION
Mercyhurst University will host several events during the week encompassing Veterans Day as part of the university’s annual Veterans Tribute:
- As you enter Mercyhurst’s campus Monday, Nov. 9, through Friday, Nov. 13, you’ll see flags lining Old Main Drive. You may also hear bugle calls sounding over the carillon between classes. In the military, these bugle calls mean specific things throughout the day.
- On Wednesday, Nov. 11 (Veterans Day), the day will begin with Reveille (flag raising), at 7:45 a.m. Please pause to watch the Army ROTC cadets ceremoniously raise the flag directly in front of Old Main.
- At 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 11, the university will broadcast the annual “Celebration of Valor”, virtually on YouTube Live, to honor all veterans. Lieutenant Colonel Michael Bentley, Army ROTC Professor of Military Science, will be the guest speaker for this event.
- At 5 p.m. on Nov. 11, the day will end with Retreat (flag lowering), in front of Old Main.
- Throughout the week, university students/faculty/staff that are veterans are encouraged to wear their issued “dog tags”, to signify their proud service to our country.
- Students, faculty, and staff that are veterans are also encouraged to submit a short video of themselves discussing their military experience. Please follow these video instructions to ensure your clips are usable. These short clips that Mercyhurst Veterans submit will be broadcast during the week of Veterans Day over multiple social media outlets.
- We are requesting that community members share a photo of themselves or their family members that served in the military, using this form! These will be shared on lobby monitors in Hammermill Library, the Grotto Commons, and Ryan Hall during Veterans Week.
Schedule of Events
Reveille – Wednesday, Nov 11 | 7:45 a.m. – Flag Pole directly in front of Old Main
Celebration of Valor – Wednesday, Nov. 11 | 3:30 p.m. – YouTube Live
Retreat – Wednesday, Nov 11 | 5:00 p.m. – Flag Pole directly in front of Old Main
Masks and appropriate social distancing protocols will be in place at both the Reveille and Retreat events.