MNE WOMEN WITH CHILDREN PROGRAM
An on-campus program for single mothers at Mercyhurst North East.
Mercyhurst North East’s Women With Children Program assists women at or near the poverty level with achieving their educational goals and establishing a career to support themselves and their children. The program is open to single women with children ages 2 to 10 (upon admission). Space availability varies by semester and when at full capacity, student can request to be placed on a waiting list.
Women and their children will live in selected townhouses on the Mercyhurst North East campus. Housing arrangements include sufficient bedrooms for each family. Families may share common living, dining/kitchen, play areas and baths. The program also provides:
- An opportunity to earn a college degree
- 12 months of housing at MNE for each participant and her child/children
- Basic bedroom/study furnishings including bed, dresser and desk
- Group play area for children (indoors and outdoors)
- Group laundry facilities
- Group area for meetings, sessions, etc.
- Wide array of campus support for each participant, including upportive mentoring and classes in parenting, budgeting, etc.
- Safety and security
- Each home is secured with separate keys for each unit. A playground area with surrounding fence provides a safe play area for the children.
Programming and Family Enrichment
Family enrichment programming is offered throughout the year for mothers and children alike. Mothers receive support through individual goal planning, academic support, career services, on-campus counseling, and parenting and informational workshops. Mothers may also receive on-campus work study placement and assistance with internship placement.
Children are welcome to attend any of the large offering of planned activities on campus from Student Government, attend athletic events, enjoy the library, and attend Mass during the academic year. The majority of campus events are family friendly.
Application and Admission
Applicants for the Women With Children Program must be admitted to Mercyhurst North East through the regular admissions process. The free online application is available at apply.mercyhurst.edu. Once admitted, applicants must complete the online supplementary Women With Children Program application and essay and pass a criminal background check. Students enrolled in the Women With Children Program must sign a contract agreeing to abide by program policies at all times.
If you prefer to print the application, you can download it here.
- Students must apply to Mercyhurst North East for an undergraduate two-year degree
- Transfer students are eligible for the program for completion of a first-time undergraduate degree
- Students must maintain full-time student status (12 credit hours) to remain in the program
- Only single mothers with up to two children are eligible
- Children must be between 2 and 10 years of age upon mother’s admission into the program
- All students must have a reliable vehicle
- Each student in the program will be reviewed for eligibility for loans, traditional grants and scholarships through the Office of Financial Aid. Every woman and child is given free housing