Dr. Simona Carrubba gained her undergraduate degree in Physics and her Ph.D. in Engineering Physics at the University of Catania, Italy. In 2005 Dr. Carrubba came to the United States to conduct biomedical research at Louisiana State University Health Science Center and Medical School, in Shreveport, Louisiana, where she pioneered discoveries on the health effects of electromagnetic fields, brain functions and neurological diseases. She has published more than 25 papers in prestigious scientific journals, has presented her work in several international meetings and collaborated with experts from prominent governmental agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency, the Food and Drug Administration and the National Institute of Health. Dr. Carrubba’s research endeavors, publications and current activities can be found at simonacarrubba.com.
Dr. Carrubba currently teaches general physics, upper-level physics courses and labs. Dr. Carrubba is designing a variety of applied physics courses, including biomedical physics, bioelectricity, computational physics and physics of sports and human movement, to enrich the curriculum of the Department of Physics.
Dr. Carrubba enjoys the outdoors, yoga and playing guitar, studying sign language, and most of all dancing Tango.
- Optimization of Recurrence Quantification Analysis for Detecting the Presence of Multiple Sclerosis. Carrubba S., Frilot II C., Marino, A.A., Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 2019, ISSN 1609-0985.
- New Perspectives in Bioelectromagnetics Research. CARRUBBA, S. Western Pennsylvania-American Association of Physics Teachers WPA-(AAPT), Speaker, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, April, 6, 2019.
- Health Effects of Environmental Electromagnetic Fields. Carrubba, S. Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society Symposium, Erie, PA, February 20, 2019.
- Biological and Health Effects of Electromagnetic Fields. Noel, R., Guest, R., Parry, M., Carrubba, S. American Physical Society Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics (APS-CUWiP), The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ, January 18-21, 2019.
- Characteristics of EEG Induced by Hearth Rate Variability Biofeedback. Carrubba, S., Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (AAPB) Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas, April 11-14, 2018.
- Physics in Life Science: An Interdisciplinary Research Study. Thorman, S., Carrubba, S., Western Pennsylvania Association of Physics Teachers (WPA-AAPT), Penn State Great Allegheny Campus, Pennsylvania, March, 17, 2018.