WELCOME, NEW STUDENTS
The Campus Involvement Center and the Office of Academic Support work in conjunction to host Summer Orientation each summer. The purpose of Summer Orientation is to ensure that new students have a successful transition and integration into Mercyhurst University. The program promotes discussion among new and current students and parents/guardians, as well as faculty, staff, and administrators on the expectations and perceptions of college life and the campus community.
Given the difficulties in travel and the restrictions on large gatherings during the COVID-19 pandemic, Mercyhurst will conduct Summer Orientation 2020 virtually, beginning June 15. Doing so will ensure all new Lakers and families are up to speed on everything they need to know to start in the fall while safely facilitating the socialization necessary to welcome new students to the Laker family. Over the course of the summer, students and families will have access to a series of Orientation virtual events, presentations, in-person videoconference meetings, social events, mailings, and more, giving you the chance to interact with university administrators, faculty, advisors, staff, Laker Leaders, new and current students! Many of these events can be completed asynchronously, on your own time, while some will involve scheduling in-person meetings.
By attending Summer Orientation, students will:
- Have an effective and comprehensive academic advising session followed by the completion of a class schedule in their chosen major
- Gain more knowledge of the academic experience, student support services and student life
- Understand the necessity of taking ownership and academic responsibility in their educational process
- Have the opportunity to make connections with other students
- Gain a better understanding of the personal and financial responsibilities of attending college
- Begin to experience and embrace Mercyhurst's traditions, mission and core values
In addition, to encourage new student friendships and community building, Mercyhurst is now on ZeeMee, a new social platform open only to college students. Open only to admitted students, new Lakers will be part of a private community where they can meet fellow, connect on shared interests and passions, take a roommate matching quiz, and more. Accepted students who haven’t already joined can go to the Mercyhurst ZeeMee page and download the app to get started.