Complaint Resolution

When an issue is brought to our attention, Mercyhurst University will take appropriate action to seek resolution. Mercyhurst University encourages all current, former, and prospective students to submit any grievances, complaints, or concerns directly to the University. Mercyhurst students enrolled in a distance education course and living out of state should also work to resolve any disputes or grievances first with Mercyhurst University internally. Contact information is as follows:

Office of Academic Affairs
Phone: 814-824-2268

Students seeking information or assistance in any matter regarding accessibility or accommodations, who have questions concerning the above policy, or a possible complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability, should contact the University official designated to coordinate efforts to comply with the HEW regulation, Section 504, of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact information is as follows:

Alice Agnew
Director of Equal Opportunity Programs
Phone: 814-824-2362

Refund Policies

Institutional Refund Policy

If a student fully withdraws from the university after a semester or term has begun, a percentage of tuition charged for that term or semester will be refunded as follows:

100% during the first week

80% the second week

70% the third week

60% the fourth week

0% the fifth week and beyond

For fees, a 100% refund will be given during the first week; and no fee refund thereafter. Mercyhurst University uses a census date which is the final registration status the morning following the last day of the drop/add period. After the first week of the semester, there is no financial adjustment when a student drops from full-time to part-time.

Mercyhurst adheres to the Federal Refund Policy for all students who receive Title IV Federal Funds. If a student completely withdraws from the University within the first 60% of the semester, all or a portion of federal aid may be returned. These policies are outlined in the Mercyhurst Catalog or can be obtained by contacting the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Refund Policy

The Financial Aid Office is required by federal statute to determine how much financial aid was earned by students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term.

For a student who withdraws after the 60% point-in-time, there are no unearned funds. However, a school must still complete a Return calculation in order to determine whether the student is eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. The calculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula:

Percentage of payment period or term completed is the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the payment period or term. (Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term.) This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid.

Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using the following formula:

Aid to be returned is (100% of the aid that could be disbursed minus the percentage of earned aid) multiplied by the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during the payment period or term.

If a student earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds and the student would be required to return a portion of the funds. Keep in mind that when Title IV funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a balance to the institution.

If a student earned more aid than was disbursed to him/her, the institution would owe the student a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of the student's withdrawal.

The institution must return the amount of Title IV funds for which it is responsible no later than 45 days after the date of the determination of the date of the student's withdrawal. Refunds are allocated in the following order:

Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans (other than PLUS loans)

Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans

Federal Perkins Loans

Direct PLUS Loans

Federal Pell Grants for which a Return of funds is required

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants for which a Return of funds is required

Other assistance under this Title for which a Return of funds is required